Sometimes choosing the titles for my articles is even harder than writing the actual thing. This article has a few layers, so just stick with me.
Saratoga Beer Week kicks off today, which is exciting for the beer lovers locally who want to be able to taste all of the most delicious beers at restaurants and bars they wouldn’t usually get to.
The local beer scene has really grown over the past five years, especially when it comes to finding those rare, hard-to-find beers that you once had to travel far and wide to find. (Ahem… hour long lines at The Alchemist).
To say we’re lucky is an understatement. We have great beer stores, we have great beer distributors, and we have tons of beer enthusiasts. It’s like a match made in heaven. Bud light and Coors are less the norm now, while Fiddlehead and Sloop Juice are on plenty of beer lists around town.
And during Beer Week? It’s just taken to the next level and enthusiasts are into it.
I received an email from Pint Sized a few weeks ago leading into the month of February, talking about how February is their third busiest month of the year. THIRD. It falls short to August (their busiest) and then December (second busiest), but it’s really interesting from my perspective to see not just one but TWO winter months being in the top three best months of the year.
While it’s totally surprising that all the summer months aren’t at the top, it kind of makes sense that people are drinking more beer and generally more craft beer in the colder months. December is obvious for gift giving, and February has TONS of events going on to fluff the economy around here.
The month kicks off with Chowderfest, then there’s the Flurry Festival, followed by Saratoga Beer Week… there’s something going on every weekend. And honestly, they’re all events that go great with beer.
Now as Beer Week kicks off, Pint Sized has plenty of great events you should know about:
• Tuesday February 19th at 8 PM “NYC Can Night”. Exclusive and limited cans from Threes, KCBC, Grimm, Finback & more with $2 off all on premise can purchases to coincide with the shop’s weekly “Can Night” deal.
• Wednesday February 20th at 6 PM “Vegan Pop Up Beer Dinner with Berben & Wolff’s”. Berben & Wolff’s first Saratoga Pop Up with vegan sliders and special beer parings.
• Thursday February 21st at 6 PM “Sloop Keg Party”. $5 Juice Bomb pours from an iced 1⁄2 barrel. All draft beer gets a 16oz pour for the 10oz price to coincide with the shop’s “Top It Off Thursday” deal.
• Friday February 22nd at 5 PM “Equilibrium Brewery Can Release”. Pint Sized unloads a pallet of Equilibrium cans. This very limited product drew a massive line down Broadway the past two releases and is the highlight of the shop’s beer week. In addition to the can release there will be a tap takeover as well. The past two can releases drew a massive line of customers down Broadway.
• Saturday February 23rd “Staff Pick Saturday” All Day. Each member of the pint sized team selects brews for the draft list during the Saratoga Beer Summit two sessions. August Rosa spins his favorite psych rock records starting at 8 PM to keep the Beer Summit post party going at 8 PM.
• Sunday February 24th “Hangover Pop Up Brunch with Farmer’s Hardware” at 10 AM. Breakfast buffet from friends and neighbors Farmer’s Hardware along with beer mimosas and the best hangover cure…Pedialyte.
I feel hungover just reading through all of that. But I do LOVE that
Berben & Wolff’s first Saratoga Pop Up is happening tomorrow night and at Pint Sized nonetheless. I’ve had their food before at the Saratoga Wine & Food Festival a couple years back, and they completely altered my ideas of what vegan food could taste like. That’s gonna be a dope event.
For a full list of Saratoga Beer Week events, click here. Do you have an event this week you’re looking forward to the most? Leave a comment below!